If curiosity spurred you toward us, go away. Those who walk unwary, who come without having been called, cannot place blame on others when they find themselves “immersed in that mighty ocean,” face to face with a terrifying truth that they did not know they were seeking.
Living in Ireland is one thing, living in an American city quite another. I find city magic different from the magic of the countryside. I also find central Texas magic different from southern Irish magic. This is common sense really, as there are different partners in the work.
The energy of the American city I live within is one of motion, and literal energy generation. Perhaps it is more like a stellar nursery, or star-forming region: a dense area of exotic cosmic brew.
I don’t work with the entire city. I build relationship with the area I can –and regularly do– walk the bounds of. Boundary walking, and tending, is the age-old habit of the witch. It’s where we draw our power. During the liminal times of day, it is easy to find the urban Hedge. Within my own bounds, those are odd crossroads, where odd numbers of pathways or streets intersect. Also, the alleyways.
In any Hedge crossing endeavor, caution is needed. Persons of dubious nature are attracted to liminal spaces, and times. Do not trust every Person you meet, corporeal or not! Victor H. Anderson cautioned his students to make such journeys with their Lights on. That is, have a strong and direct relationship with your own Godsoul, the ancestral spirit directly connected to you.
Also, test the spirits.
Just because some non-material dude chats you up, doesn’t mean you should give him your number.
During urban hedge crossing, I do not sit and trance. I walk. This is a skill I developed working with the Reclaiming Pagan Cluster, and learning to use my magic during direct action protest. I also carry a protective talisman in my pocket, or on my person. I set an intention, whether that be exploratory or specific. These forays are not for entertainment. They are for the purpose of accomplishing my will, and my work.
The danger in possession is if you let alien beings in to use you — and there are plenty out there that will. They’ll split your personality. They’ll touch certain parts of your personality that you don’t even know you have. And then, you won’t be able to consciously remember when one takes over or when one doesn’t, even though it’s all you. That’s the danger of possession. Another danger is that they can come in with cruel and terrible ideas and infect you with them. Because when someone knocks at your door, and I’m not just speaking about spirits, don’t let them in unless you know who they are. You turn on the light first and that light is right above your head. — Victor Anderson, The Heart of the Initiate: Feri Lessons
Quakoralina, the Star Goddess
A lovely black woman is waiting, waiting
In the boundless night.
A river of blackbirds are mating, mating,
In the dim starlight.
Down out of the sky they come winging, winging,
Drawn to Her black flame,
And the melody they are singing, singing,
Is Her holy name.
In the dust of Her feet are the hosts of heaven,
And Her star-sequined hair
Is crowned with a coven of six and seven
Blue suns burning there.
The expression God Herself could be called a Faery koan. Victor once wrote in a letter that Lilith was honored by the Harpy Coven, to which he belonged in his early life, not as “the Goddess,” but as God Herself. This is an important distinction. In a letter to Anaar published in the book, The Heart of the Initiate, Victor clarified:
When we say “Goddess” in my tradition…
View original post 810 more words
Of all the strange and terrible powers among which we move unknowingly, sex is the most potent. Conceived in the orgasm of birth, we burst forth in agony and ecstasy from the Center of Creation. Time and again we return to that fountain, lose ourselves in the fires of being, unite for a moment with the eternal force and return renewed and refreshed as from a miraculous sacrament. Then, at the last, our life closes in the orgasm of death. Sex, typified as love, is at the heart of every mystery, at the center of every secret. It is this splendid and subtle serpent that twines about the cross and coils in the heart of the mystic rose. -Jack Parsons
“Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact in mind”: Jack Kerouac, creativity and academic writing
From Jack Kerouac, Belief and Technique for Modern Prose, in the Beats anthology:
- Scribbled secret notebooks, and wild typewritten pages, for yr own joy
- Submissive to everything, open, listening
- Try never get drunk outside yr own house
- Be in love with yr life
- Something that you feel will find its own form
- Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind
- Blow as deep as you want to blow
- Write what you want bottomless from bottom of the mind
- The unspeakable visions of the individual
- No time for poetry but exactly what is
- Visionary tics shivering in the chest
- In tranced fixation dreaming upon object before you
- Remove literary, grammatical and syntactical inhibition
- Like Proust be an old teahead of time
- Telling the true story of the world in interior monolog
- The jewel center of interest is the eye within the eye
- Write in recollection and amazement for yourself
- Work from pithy middle eye out, swimming in language sea
- Accept loss forever
- Believe in the holy contour of life
- Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact in mind
- Don’t think of words when you stop but to see picture better
- Keep track of every day the date emblazoned in yr morning
- No fear or shame in the dignity of yr experience, language & knowledge
- Write for the world to read and see yr exact pictures of it
- Bookmovie is the movie in words, the visual American form
- In praise of Character in the Bleak inhuman Loneliness
- Composing wild, undisciplined, pure, coming in from under, crazier the better
- You’re a Genius all the time
- Writer-Director of Earthly movies Sponsored & Angeled in Heaven